CBD Oil for Bipolar Disorder: Is It A Viable Solution?
CBD has exploded onto the mainstream with more and more people turning to it for its benefits. Ongoing research on the use of CBD oil for bipolar disorder has enhanced our understanding of the topic.
Before diving into CBD oil for Bipolar Disorder, here are some CBD brands recommended by Farma Health:
[product-multiple product-id1=10383 product-id2=10395 product-id3=10384]
CBD Oil For Bipolar Disorder: Key Takeaways
- While there are numerous types of treatment in existence now, another growing treatment is the use of cannabidiol (CBD).
- This derivative of the cannabis plant may in fact, be of use when it comes to helping with bipolar patients, those with depressive symptoms, and other mental illnesses in general.
- CBD oil for bipolar disorders and other mood disorders is showing to be a promising treatment for patients according to initial studies.
- Managing mood disorders and various other mental illnesses is not only difficult for the patients themselves, but also for everyone around them. CBD can help with this.
- CBD does not give the ‘high’ effect that one gets from THC.
What is Bipolar Disorder?
Bipolar disorder is a mental health condition that results in extreme mood swings including emotional highs (mania) and lows (depression).
When you become depressed, you may feel hopelessness and experience a lack of interest or pleasure in almost everything. On the other hand, when mood shifts to being euphoric (technically, mania; or hypomania if this is less extreme), you feel ecstatic, full of energy to take on the world or become unusually irritable.
Patients report that they cannot control the mood swings. This can affect sleep, social life, judgment, behavior and the ability to think clearly.
There are four types of bipolar disorder according to the National Institute of Mental Health –
- Bipolar I Disorder:
- Manic periods continue at least 7 days, extreme manic symptoms might require hospitalization
- Depressive episodes lasting at least 2 weeks
- Episodes of depression and manic symptoms together are also possible
- Bipolar II Disorder:
- Shows a pattern of depressive and hypomanic episodes, but less extreme
- Cyclothymic disorder:
- Symptoms do not meet diagnostic requirements but have continued for at least 2 years in adults and 1 year in children
- Other specified and unspecified Bipolar Disorder:
- Other symptoms that don’t match the above categories
Understanding CBD Oil And How It Works
To start off with, CBD oil is is an extract from the hemp or cannabis plant. Both the cannabis and hemp plants consist of various chemical compounds called cannabinoids.
Ingesting these cannabinoids will lead to various effects concerning your physiology. Specifically, THC is directly responsible for the psychoactive mood-altering effects that people experience when consuming cannabis.
The Human Cannabinoid System
Cannabidiol is a chemical in the Cannabis sativa plant with over 80 such compounds found within it. This is also known to many as marijuana.
The exact reasoning and causes for the effects of marijuana aren’t crystal clear yet. However, what is known about marijuana is that it’s helpful at the treatment of altering mood and anxiety-like symptoms.
One thing that the general person has trouble understanding when it comes to the cannabis industry is the realization that not all compounds will get you high. Not all compounds contain the THC compound.
Does CBD Oil Get You High?
CBD is widely popular with patients from various spectrums of life because it doesn’t have the psychoactive effects that marijuana has due to THC not being present.
However, if you do decide to use CBD oil for treatment of any sort, be aware that it still affects your system from a biological standpoint.
CBD consists of around 40 percent of the hemp plant extract and most influences your central nervous system.
To cater to those who don’t prefer marijuana, CBD products exist in a wide variety of forms. Not only is there CBD hemp oil or drops, but you can also consume in a spray form.
With this reasoning in mind using CBD oil for bipolar disorder, depression, or any other mental illness is a great option.
CBD For Bipolar Disorder: What The Research Says
The use of CBD products for bipolar disorder, anxiety, depression, and other illnesses is still a relatively new phenomenon. With that said, the research specifically on CBD oil for bipolar disorder has produced some contradictory results according to the existing studies.
As you learn more about marijuana, the varied reports and results are due to how complex marijuana is. There are 113 compounds inside marijuana with the two most common being THC and CBD.
The Connection Between Bipolar Disorder And Cannabis
The treatment for bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress, and numerous other illnesses have been reported by patients with various responses. The studies show both favorable and non-favorable results.
A study published in 2010 by Psychological Medicine found cannabis to improve cognitive functioning.
Using CBD has the same antipsychotic and anticonvulsive properties as conventional bipolar disorder treatments according to 2005 studies published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology.
Benefits of CBD For Bipolar Disorder
People with bipolar disorder could be well served in looking into using marijuana. However, if you want to avoid the THC compounds, then CBD oil will be an excellent alternative.
Unfortunately, cannabis oil isn’t legal everywhere, but if it’s legal where you are and you have someone suffering from mental illness symptoms—it’s something worthwhile to look into.
May Reduce The Intensity Of Mania
Someone with bipolar disorder will often time display strong symptoms of mania which not only effects them but those closest to them.
According to studies from a 1998 piece published in the Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, patients reported that using cannabis worked better than the conventional treatments being used. The paper concludes that more research is required to explore the use of CBD in the treatment of bipolar disorder. However, it also indicates that CBD helped with the less extreme euphoric mood swings called hypomanic episodes.
Can Help Relieve Symptoms Of Depression
A 2007 research published in the Journal of Neural Transmission proved that the density of CB1 receptors is reduced in the depressive period of bipolar disorder. Use of CBD may help restore because CBD works with the CB1 receptors to help with depression.
CBD oil is a potentially helpful treatment for helping with depressive symptoms. This is a multifactorial approach that is being helped here.
CBD can be a mood enhancer thanks in part to its effects on the serotonin levels in your body. With serotonin at appropriate levels plus CBD oil helping with sleep, depressive symptoms will be kept at bay.
Could Alleviate Stress
Stress is the root cause of many anxiety-based disorders and CBD oil is a perfect solution for that very thing.
Stressed men and women who have a predisposition for mental illnesses will only heighten them if their stress is left unaddressed–especially bipolar individuals.
Using CBD oil for bipolar disorder is so effective because the cannabinoids interact with the endocannabinoid system which is responsible for regulating sleep patterns, appetite, mood, and much more.
Less Addictive Than Some Other Medications
Common bipolar medications such as Lithobid, Symbyax, benzodiazepines like Xanax, Valium, and Klonopin are typically prescribed and come with some serious side effects compared to cannabis.
Some of these medications were reported to create addiction and dependency. Other symptoms include weight gain, difficulty sleeping, manic depression, and even suicidal ideation in extreme cases.
This makes CBD oil for bipolar disorder treatment seem much safer option due to the absence of side effects. Research on CBD side effects shows that CBD is safe in regular use.
Downside of CBD For Treating Bipolar Disorder
While cannabis has a slew of benefits along with using CBD oil for bipolar disorder treatments, there are still some potential downsides.
Mild Side Effects Can Occur
As with nearly everything in life, there are potential side effects and drawbacks to using CBD oil.
A few of the more common side effects that could potentially occur are dry mouth, low blood pressure, lightheadedness, and drowsiness. Also, CBD should be avoided if you’re pregnant, breastfeeding, or have Parkinson’s disease.
Beware Mislabeled Or Fake CBD Oil
Just like with olive oil, CBD oil has fallen prey to fake and low-quality products thanks in part to its popularity. However, when you’re getting ready to invest in your cannabis products, keep these three elements top of mind
- Certificate of analysis – Look for the lab test result of the CBD products before you buy. Independent lab test results, for example from Farma Health, helps you to understand whether the brand is living up to its promises about the contents of the products.
- Producer — Large and proven entities usually provide a much more reliable product
- Method of production — This is the extraction method that prevents contamination and also the quality of procedures initiated each time for the product
- The composition of the product — You want to preserve the broadest possible profile of the cannabinoids. Look for full spectrum CBD with less than 0.3% THC. The full spectrum contains all the cannabinoids along with CBD, making it more effective with the endocannabinoid system in our bodies. On the other hand, products made from CBD isolate contains only CBD – and no other compounds from hemp plants.
Where To Buy CBD Oil
Whether you want CBD oil for bipolar disorder assistance or for other issues, there are a few options to purchase CBD oil depending on your circumstances.
If you live in a state that has legalized marijuana, then you can get your MMJ card online or stop into the recreational dispensary. If you live in a state where it’s illegal, then you’ll have to order CBD oil online.
CBD Oil Dosage For Bipolar Users
When using CBD oil for bipolar disorder treatment, it’s imperative to have a high content of CBD for maximum effectiveness.
While the exact dosage hasn’t been agreed upon yet, some real-world feedback from users suggests a CBD: THC ratio of 20:1 to be a good starting point. And it could be even more effective if the CBD is isolated in oil form.
Is CBD Oil A Viable Solution For Bipolar Disorder
Mental illnesses, especially bipolar disorder can wreck a family’s quality of life. The typical solutions of strong medications may work to an extent, but they often come with a strong array of side effects. Bipolar disorder is a complex entity.
But with all of this in mind and the existing information about CBD oil, it makes total sense to give it a try to help lessen those potential mental effects.
Farma Health recommends giving the following brands a try:
[product-multiple product-id1=10383 product-id2=10395 product-id3=10384]
CBD and Bipolar Disorder: Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best CBD oil for bipolar disorder?
- How much CBD oil to use for bipolar disorder?
- Does CBD help with bipolar disorder?
- Is CBD a mood stabilizer?
- Can CBD oil help mood swings?
- Safety and Side Effects of Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa Constituent
- The use of cannabis as a mood stabilizer in bipolar disorder: anecdotal evidence and the need for clinical research
- Expression of CB1 cannabinoid receptor in the anterior cingulate cortex in schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression
- Cannabidiol was ineffective for manic episode of bipolar affective disorder